So what happens before construction begins? White Oak library staff spent approximately 2 weeks in the building packing and shelving materials. The children's area had to be completely packed so that old shelving could be removed. Books, DVD's, CD's were all placed in boxes and labeled. Once the packing was completed, the White Oak library staff began their temporary assignments at impacted branches. Impacted branches included Marilyn Praisner, Silver Spring, Long Branch, and Wheaton Interim library.
|Children's Picture Book Area|
|Books on CD|
After books were packed and old shelves were taken down
|Children's Room after books and shelving were removed.|
After the abatement pictures
|Magazine and PC Area|
|Adult and Teen Area|
So what happens next? Contractors will begin to fix ADA issues on the inside and outside of the building. Bathrooms will have old tile and fixtures removed. Un-leveled and damaged cement and bricks outside of the building will be removed and replaced.
So what other types of updates will I see at the White Oak Library?
- 2 new collaboration rooms
- New furniture
- Painting and re-carpeting of the public areas
- Some new shelving in Adult and Teen areas
- All new shelving in Children's area
- Remodeling the public restrooms including floors, walls, and toilet stall partitions
- New ADA compliant ramp for book drop access
- Additional digital signage monitors